Words do matter.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent
about things that matter~ martin luther king
Words heal..
Words reassure..
Words express...

Book review: A Curse for True Love by Stephanie Garber

A Curse for True Love (Once Upon a Broken Heart, #3)A Curse for True Love by Stephanie Garber
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

At 39%
Until now I was pitying Apollo a bit. But this is inhumane. He is the villain, not Jacks !

At 100%
That confession!!!!!

There might be some spoilers, sorry!

**********************************

Okay first my fav dialogues:

“She tried to pull away, but Jacks held tight, knotting her hair in his fist and keeping his forehead pressed to hers. "Please, Little Fox, remember.”

“Yes, I am a monster. I enjoy hurting people. I like blood. I like pain. I am a monster, but whether you remember it or not, I’m your monster, Evangeline.”

“Archer held her tighter. He banded one arm firmly around her ribs, the other he circled just below her waist, almost on her hips, his fingers splayed in a way that felt less like he wanted to restrain her and more like he just wanted to touch her--to hold her on that bridge in the dark where it was only the two of them and the rain and the feel of too many heartbeats racing between them.”

“I’m not taking you to heaven,”

“I already told you. You are the love of my life. You are mine, Jacks of the Hollow. And you’re not going to be the end of me.” “But you were dying.” “No,” she said, a little embarrassed. “I just forgot to breathe.”

“He would carry her through more than just freezing waters. He would pull her through fire if he had to, haul her from the clutches of war, from falling cities and breaking worlds . . .”

“Her memories didn’t feel so much like her past as they felt like their story. The story of Evangeline and Jacks. And it was a beautiful story, her new favorite story. She hated that she’d forgotten it.”

“I'm broken. I like to break things. Sometimes I want to break you."
"Then break me Jacks.”

“He considered setting the room ablaze just so that he'd have a reason to pick her up and carry her out, to save her one last time, before he left her for good.”

“What is the point of having friends if they’re not there to support your bad decisions?”

“I know I seem naive," Evangeline pressed on. " I know my faith in love might appear foolish. I also know it might not be enough. But I'm not doing this because I believe I'll win. I'm actually a little afraid I'm going to lose. I no longer think love is a guarantee of victory or of happily ever after. But I think it's a reason to fight for those things. I know my attempt to save Jacks could end in fiery explosion, but I'd rather go up in flames with him than watch while he burns.”

“He wanted to keep her pressed to the floor beneath him. He would have set the world on fire and then let it all burn just to keep holding her like this.”

“He glanced at her sideways. "You shouldn't stare at me like that."
"Then how should I stare?"
"You shouldn't stare at me at all." He abruptly looked away.”


**********************************

The last few days were full of tears for me. The emotions ran high. I didn't want to be disturbed while I devoured this series. I was angry if I had to look away from my pages.

Jacks was tiresome and annoying in a good way. He managed to torment Evangeline and the readers at the same time.
I never thought I'd find another character I hate so much after Umbridge, but Aurora came just near her. How could someone be that self-centred. She put a curse on Jacks that not only drove him to almost kill the girl he was in love with but then she put another curse to make his life eternally lonely by making all his kisses fatal. Only someone who NEVER loved him could survive. How can someone be THAT cruel? And above that, she still planned to free up Apollo from the tree on top of everything she had already done?!
I swear I could strangle her with my bare hands!

Little fox, Evangeline, she was everything. Brave, stupidly hopeful, eternally optimistic and yet such a pure pure soul. She forgave Marisol and then Apollo and Jacks and LaLa and every person who could and had wronged her. She was too trusting. No wonder Jacks has to keep saving her over and over again.
The most beautiful part of the book was when Jacks could read her thoughts, whether she projected them or not. Everything Jack did was amazing. Beautiful. Even his meanness, his growls, his jealousy and mostly his nonchalance.
Stephanie Garber. You made it eternally beautiful and to make it happen with no open door romance scenes. It's a feat. Getting my physical copies to mark the highlights and then bury it for my old age. ❤


My favourite scenes in the book:

The self-defence lesson
The cursed forest 'The Hallow'
The inn
The phoenix tree

View all my reviews

0 Opinions:

Post a Comment

"How little a thing can make us happy when we feel that we have earned it" - Mark Twain