Words do matter.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent
about things that matter~ martin luther king
Words heal..
Words reassure..
Words express...

Book Review: It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

It Ends with Us It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It ends with us  by Coleen Hoover

Book review: 




“Imagine all the people you meet in your life. There are so many. They come in like waves, trickling in and out with the tide. Some waves are much bigger and make more of an impact than others. Sometimes the waves bring with them things from deep in the bottom of the sea and they leave those things tossed onto the shore. Imprints against the grains of sand that prove the waves had once been there, long after the tide recedes. That was what Atlas was telling me when he said “I love you.” He was letting me know that I was the biggest wave he’d ever come across. And I brought so much with me that my impressions would always be there, even when the tide rolled out.”

“You can stop swimming now, Lily. We finally reached the shore.”

― Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us

My favourite quote from the book.
There are many more but I'll get those later. I have been struggling with the intensity of this book. The way it has gathered and portrayed the idea of being in love, innocent kind and losing yourself in it. And then moving on, going on living a life with that void in your heart all the way. But that's again not the real intensity of the book.
The book shook me to the core with the sheer weight of how the protagonist struggles with her marriage, and her love, giving her everything in it and realising that it isn't enough. Loving isn't enough. She at first hates how her mother had stayed in an abusive relationship and then struggles through the same. The 'love' is not letting her give up. The inbuilt 'I can fix him' thing, it's too relatable. The mild undertones of the longing for her lost love are there but the rock sitting on your chest is the frustration of lack of action on the protagonist's part. You are screaming at her to 'do something'.
It was a tearing, heart-wrenching, tear-jerker story. And I know many people who have been through this, I did as well, on some level, it's hard to come out of an abusive relationship (may it be physical or emotional).
Kudos to the story.

Writing: On the other hand, I found a bit too cliche, usually with Hoover books.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Coming back to other favourite quotes from the book:


"Just because someone hurts you doesn't mean you can simply stop loving them. It's not a person's actions that hurt the most. It's the love. If there was no love attached to the action, the pain would be a little easier to bear".

"Strength isn't about bearing a cross of grief or shame. Strength comes from choosing your own path, and living with the consequences".

"Life is a funny thing. We only get so many years to live it, so we have to do everything we can to make sure those years are as full as they can be".

"Sometimes an unexpected wave comes along, sucks you up and refuses to spit you back out"

"I think about how sometimes, no matter how convinced you are that your life will turn out a certain way, all that certainty can be washed away with a simple change in tide".

View all my reviews

0 Opinions:

Post a Comment

"How little a thing can make us happy when we feel that we have earned it" - Mark Twain